Thursday, April 4, 2013

{Book Review} Be Still My Soul by Joanne Bischof

Back Cover (from Goodreads):
Pretty Lonnie Sawyer is shy and innocent, used to fading into the background within her family, and among the creeks and hollows of the Appalachian hills. Though her family is poor and her father abusive, she clings to a quiet faith. But when handsome ladies’ man and bluegrass musician Gideon O’Riley steals a kiss, that one action seals her fate.

Her father forces her into a hasty marriage with Gideon—a man she barely knows and does not love. Equally frustrated and confused by his new responsibilities, Gideon yearns for a fresh start, forcing Lonnie on an arduous journey away from her home in Rocky Knob.

Her distant groom can’t seem to surrender his rage at the injustice of the forced matrimony or give Lonnie any claim in his life. What will it take for Gideon to give up his past, embrace Lonnie’s God, and discover a hope that can heal their two fractured hearts?

Gideon only ever cared about himself. Now that Lonnie is his wife, will he ever be worthy of her heart?


My Review:
This is the first book since Picture Perfect by Janice Thompson that I just could not put down. Seriously. I read it in two sittings. After all, a girl has to stay hydrated and fed!

Be Still My Soul (The Cadence of Grace #1)Be Still My Soul is a remarkable tale about Lonnie and Gideon and their shot gun wedding over a misunderstanding on Lonnie's father's part. I don't want to give too much away in this review, so I'll try to remain as tight-lipped as I can. OK, back to the book... My heart went out to Lonnie as she dealt with her circumstances and her obstacles. Her faith almost never wavered and she never complained- that I can recall.

I say I enjoy a lot of different books, and I do! But this one really hit the spot for me and I am eagerly awaiting my review copy for Though My Heart is Torn from Blogging for Books to arrive. Bischof's writing style is easy to read and it hooks you from the first page. Lonnie and Gideon are great examples of characterization and I'm so happy the book ended on a satisfying note.

The reason you need to go out and get your own copy is simple. If you are a fan of historical fiction, love really good writing, like characters you can sympathize to, and enjoy a good read then this book might be worth checking into. ;-)

My grandmother bought this book for me (thanks, Grandma!), no review required.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, Rosie. Thanks for sharing - and I'll keep an eye out for your follow-up review. Hope you like it as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.