Thursday, April 11, 2013

{Book Review} Short Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer

My Review:
A stellar read from Witemeyer!

Short-Straw BrideFrom page one my heart adored Witemeyer's endearing character, Meredith, and her handsome hero, Travis. I knew I was up for some heart-string pulling and guessed I wouldn't easily be setting the book down. To say the least, I was right. This is my first novel from Witemeyer and I am very pleased. It makes me look forward to Stealing the Preacher all the more. (Especially because it's about Crockett! :D)

Meredith Hayes is a feisty, stubborn, young woman almost engaged to a businessman she doesn't love. When she overhears this almost-fiancée talking about committing a crime against a childhood hero, she knows she must do something about it. So she does. A dangerous trait Meri possesses is impulsiveness. She is very spur of the moment and doesn't seem to think things all the way through before she acts. This gets her into trouble more often than others would prefer. But I find it hard to criticize Meri when I know I would probably do the same thing, under her circumstances.

Since I don't want to spoil much, I'll end the review with this: Short Straw Bride is set in the late 1800s, Texas this is a cute Christian romance to brighten your day; with a well-rounded cast, a strong hero and heroine, and some humor this is a very pleasant read. :-)

My grandmother bought this book for me, no review required. Thanks, Grandma!

Book Blurb (from Goodreads): 
No one steps on Archer land. Not if they value their life. But when Meredith Hayes overhears a lethal plot to burn the Archer brothers off their ranch, a twelve-year-old debt compels her to take the risk.

Fourteen years of constant vigilance hardens a man. Yet when Travis Archer confronts a female trespasser with the same vivid blue eyes as the courageous young girl he once aided, he can't bring himself to send her away. And when an act of sacrifice leaves her injured and her reputation in shreds, gratitude and guilt send him riding to her rescue once again.

Four brothers. Four straws. One bride. Despite the fact that Travis is no longer the gallant youth Meredith once dreamed about, she determines to stand by his side against the enemy that threatens them both. But will love ever be hers? Or will Travis always see her merely as a short-straw bride?
 

9 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book as well and am looking forward to Stealing the Preacher! You should also look into reading her older books because they are all very enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! I have some on my kindle so I'll be sure to get to them eventually! :)

      Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  2. Oh I absolutely love Karen's books! They are just purely amazing and you definitely need to read her other ones! I saw in your reply to the above comment that you have some on your kindle and I was wondering which ones (yeah I'm nosy like that)? A Short-Straw Bride is my favorite (cannot wait for Stealing the Preacher!)but the other ones are now less awesome! Great review btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack! Forgive me for taking so long to reply. Since I don't have my kindle on me I can't be sure. But I know I have A Tailor Made Bride and maybe two others...? on there. :)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Yet another awaiting me on that ever-growing TBR stack, Rosie. (I think my copy was gifted to me also. :D) I read Karen's 'Tailor-Made Bride' and thought it cute but since "prairie" fiction isn't my most favorite, I didn't adore it. Nonetheless, I'll eventually read this one and will likely read 'Preacher.' All of her books have delightful covers, too.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't comment on Tailor because I haven't read it, but I did find Short Straw Bride very enjoyable. I read somewhere that she partially got the inspiration for Short Straw Bride through the musical Seven Brides for Seven Brothers- and I love that movie/musical.

      You're welcome! Thank you for coming by!

      Delete
    2. Oh, really!? I hadn't read that this was possibly inspired by 'Seven Brides' - that's neat! I love that one also, which would make this one more fun. :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.