Saturday, April 27, 2013

Take a Chance on Me by Susan May Warren {Tyndale Blog Tour!}

My Review:
What an amazing, heart-squeezing, read!

Take a Chance on Me
After reading so many great things about Warren's writing, I opted to give her a shot when Tyndale offered up her latest book Take a Chance on Me for review. I am glad to report that I loved the book! Tiger, Darek's son, is A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E! I loved reading about Darek caring for him, it was so sweet and helped endear me to Darek after he was so grumpy in those opening chapters.

Ivy, our heroine, really brings to life the sad realities of our foster care system. I really connected with her sweet personality and love for helping other people. I also really liked how over the course of the novel Warren showed her slowly allowing herself to accept God's unconditional love. I hope we get more glimpses of her in the next Christiansen Family novel, Walk on By, because I truly enjoyed reading about her.

With two primary couples heading the storyline, I thought for sure it would put me off. But it didn't. I found myself completely waist deep in both of their stories and wouldn't change a thing. I'm in love with the small town of Deep Haven and I can't wait to get my hands on some of Warren's earlier works. Fans new and old should enjoy this one!

I received this book from Tyndale in return for an honest review of my opinions, thanks!

Back Cover:
Darek Christiansen is almost a dream bachelor—oldest son in the large Christiansen clan, heir to their historic Evergreen Lake Resort, and doting father. But he’s also wounded and angry since the tragic death of his wife, Felicity. No woman in Deep Haven dares come near.

New assistant county attorney Ivy Madison simply doesn’t know any better when she bids on Darek at the charity auction. Nor does she know that when she crafted a plea bargain three years ago to keep Jensen Atwood out of jail and in Deep Haven fulfilling community service, she was releasing the man responsible for Felicity’s death. All Ivy knows is that the Christiansens feel like the family she’s always longed for. And once she gets past Darek’s tough exterior, she finds a man she could spend the rest of her life with. Which scares her almost as much as Darek learning of her involvement in his wife’s case.

Caught between new love and old grudges, Darek must decide if he can set aside the past for a future with Ivy—a future more and more at risk as an approaching wildfire threatens to wipe out the Christiansen resort and Deep Haven itself.


Go here to read the first chapter!

2 comments:

  1. Fab review, Rosie. Delighted you liked this one and Susan's writing. Welcome to the club. :)

    The only thing I really didn't love was the two alternating stories - I don't mind that in books however this one was so... predictable in the sense that each chapter (without fail) would switch off to one of the four people - i.e., Darek, Ivy, Jenson and Claire. In that way, I wanted the book to be "paced" differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rissi! :) Happy to join.

      I didn't mind it as much as I thought I would. Sorry that you didn't go for it that much.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.