Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Book Review: Pilgrimage of Promise by Cathy Bryant

My Review:
This is an amazing, touching, read!

Pilgrimage of Promise (A Miller's Creek Novel-Book 4)Though I have not read the earlier books in the series it did not take away at all from the story, which was engaging, humorous, at times, and impeccably well done. Bryant has some really great talent and knowledge, something that is very obvious in her writing and characters. It was really hard to quit reading! I finished it in an afternoon.

In Pilgrimage of Promise, Cathy brings to life the 1960s complete with the Vietnam War, Kennedy's assassination, and so forth. To me, this was invaluable. I cannot really get into historical books whose author hasn't done their research. It just doesn't feel real. So definite thumbs up for that. I also liked how she balanced all our questions as we go from the year 2012 to long flashbacks in the '60s. The mystery and the questions really drew me in. In some ways, it felt like we were reading two different stories- a good thing, mind you.

I also adored Mona Beth. I couldn't have asked for a better heroine. She was always loyal to a mere promise and did all she could to help her parents stay afloat financially. Not to mention her faith and trust in God through all her misfortunes. Who could ask for a more likable character?

Anyway, this is one you will want to check out if you're interested. I really enjoyed it and give it a full 5 star rating. My only complaint is it was too short. Without a doubt, if I ever find the time, I will be reading the earlier novels in the series. :-)

I received a complimentary review copy from the author in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks, Cathy!! 

Book Summary (from Goodreads): 
Broken promises, enduring love...
A dusty stack of unopened love letters forces Bo and Mona Beth Miller to revisit a part of their past they’d rather leave buried–especially in the face of death. Only as they retrace history will they learn the truth about the shattered promise that threatens to come between them. But can their relationship endure the deception and sabotage they unearth, or will the experience compel them to trust more fully in the promises that never fail?

2 comments:

  1. Haven't ever read any by this author. As a matter of face I am not sure that I've heard of this name! Huh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't either, but she's really talented. You should check her stuff out. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.