Thursday, January 30, 2014

{Book Review:} Worth the Wait by Laura Jackson

18275917My Review:
A charming debut from Jackson!

Worth the Wait is an emotional story about a young woman, named Ellie, struggling to find herself after her world is turned upside down. Ellie's long-time boyfriend has cheated on her, her mother has cancer, and it's all she can do to keep her head above the water. I admit, I'm tough to please when it comes to the YA genre, but Jackson did a fair job presenting a real issue in our society.

Ellie Lansing is a frustrating character. She made several decisions I felt were completely stupid, however, Jackson made her far too likable to give up hope. Since I'm a former homeschooler, I may never understand private or public schools, nonetheless I appreciated that Jackson portrayed Grace Preparatory Academy (a Christian private school) with less than perfect students. Simply because you attend a Christian school doesn't mean you are one or that you act like one.

As far as the heroes go, in this story I thought Dylan was a real slime ball. Josh, on the other hand, was an excellent example of what young women should look for in a husband: a deep love for Christ. I suppose I could understand Ellie's struggle in her heart on a small level, but no deeper than that.

The core message of the novel is about abstinence, but something I think Ellie failed to understand, at least until the latter part of the book, is that following God's laws simply because you've been taught to is not the right motive. You should follow God's laws because you want to. There's a lot more about this that I could say, based on some recent personal studies of mine, but I'll save that for another time. I truly liked that Jackson brought up this issue in such a realistic manner. She executes it well. All in all, I enjoyed Worth the Wait and I recommend it to teen girls for its great theme.

I received an ebook copy of this book in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

Back Cover:
Ellie Lansing has a picture-perfect life with a close-knit family and the perfect boyfriend. But her world is suddenly knocked off center when her drool-worthy boyfriend cheats, and her always-has-it-together mother is diagnosed with cancer. Ellie doesn’t get it. She always does the right thing—doesn’t God owe her a happy life? Through her heartache, Ellie learns that sometimes what seems like the end is really just the beginning and that what God has for us is always worth the wait.

Interested in reading? Worth the Wait releases Feb. 4th, you can pre-order here at Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.