Monday, April 28, 2014

{Book Review:} Caught in the Middle by Regina Jennings

18008072My Review:
A fun western from Jennings!

OK, so maybe I can't classify Caught in the Middle a western per se, but I loved the historical edge to this novel. I'm saddened to say I've missed out on Jennings' prior releases, but after enjoying Nick and Anne's story, I intend to go back and read them. "Old" fans I'm certain will be excited for a quick glimpse of Molly & Bailey living out their happily ever after.

The heart and soul of what molded Anne into the woman she is, is slowly revealed to us through the novel. It's heartbreaking and it saddens me to know that many women can probably relate to Anne's former predicament. Anne's internal journey is amazing and in my opinion, well handled. I won't go into detail-you'll have to read the book-but it could be well worth your time.

Nick was a character I adored as a writer. In a sense, he was perfectly flawed. I loved that. I also loved how he would call out Anne's flaws and she'd return the favor. They worked fantastically well together, though they may have disagreed with that assessment at one point or another.

I loved this novel for so many reasons, several of which I've shared. Jennings offers us a novel with heart, and I don't say that lightly. This book is definitely going on my keeper shelf as a new favorite. I recommend this book to those who enjoy historical novels and raw characters with an emotional depth. I suggest this book to readers fifteen or older do to flashbacks of an abusive husband and a mention of murder.

I received this book from Bethany House in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. 

Back Cover:
The train to Garber, Texas, is supposed to bring life's next victory to Nicholas Lovelace. Instead, it gets held up by robbers who are thwarted by the last person Nick ever expected--Anne Tillerton from back home in Prairie Lea.

Anne’s been hiding away as a buffalo hunter. She’s only in Garber to find their runaway cook, but the woman flees--leaving Anne with her infant son. With Nick the only person Anne knows in Garber, the two form an unlikely team as they try to figure out what to do with the child.

But being in town means acting and dressing for polite society--and it's not going well for Anne. Meanwhile, Nick's work is bringing new pressures, and being seen with a rough-around-the-edges woman isn't helping his reputation. Caught between their own dreams, a deepening relationship, and others' expectations, can the pair find their way to love?

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious about this one - mainly because my eye was drawn to its gorgeous cover art. The colors and "sassiness" is just perfect. Glad to read you enjoyed it, Rosie. Not sure if it'll be my "cup of tea," however I'll give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.