Monday, April 21, 2014

{Book Review:} Death by the Book by Julianna Deering

18008076My Review:
An amazing follow-up!

I love sequels that follow the same characters we met in the first. Sequels are a great opportunity to further character development and as a bonus we get to spend more time with our favorite characters! Win-win scenario, right? Once again I found myself impressed with the vivid settings and the tangibility of Deering's characters.

Drew was a model hero, yet again. His continued integrity and honor towards Madeline warmed my heart. Aunt Ruth had nothing to worry about. ;-) Time and time again, Drew proved himself a gentleman even when met with discourteous individuals. This is probably what makes him such an attractive lead. He isn't without his flaws, but I think it's fair to say that Drew has learned from plenty of mistakes in his past.

I don't have too much to say about Madeline, but I will say I admired her patience with her stubborn aunt. I also really liked her unwillingness to rush into marriage. I thought it was a wise decision on her part and realistic. After all, you don't go out and marry someone you just met.

As far as the mystery goes, Deering did a wonderful job yet again. I was constantly guessing throughout the book and then I made conclusions alongside Drew. I love it when I can be surprised, and Mrs. Deering did just that. Overall I loved the book and I can't wait to return to Farthering St. John! I highly recommend to fans of mysteries, ages fifteen and older due to some minor violence.

I received this book from Bethany House in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks! 

Back Cover:
Drew Farthering wanted nothing more than to end the summer of 1932 with the announcement of his engagement. Instead, he finds himself caught up in another mysterious case when the family solicitor is found murdered, an antique hatpin with a cryptic message, Advice to Jack, piercing his chest.

Evidence of secret meetings and a young girl's tearful confession point to the victim's double life, but what does the solicitor's murder have to do with the murder of a physician on the local golf course? Nothing, it would seem--except for another puzzling note, affixed with a similar-looking bloodied hatpin.

Soon the police make an arrest in connection with the murders, but Drew isn't at all certain they have the right suspect in custody. And why does his investigation seem to be drawing him closer and closer to home?

1 comment:

  1. This one is - as many others - sitting on my bookshelf trying its best to tempt me away from the books I *have* to read first. Needless to say between its stunning cover design and the allure of catching up with Drew and Company, it's been tough to hold back. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.