Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Book Review: Glamorous Illusions by Lisa T. Bergren

Summary:
 Glamorous IllusionsIt’s the summer of 1913 and Cora Kensington’s life on the family farm has taken a dark turn. Not only are the crops failing, but someone dear to Cora is failing as well.

In one fateful afternoon, a stranger comes to call, and Cora discovers a terrible secret about her past…a secret that will radically change her future.

Cora is invited to take the “Grand Tour” of Europe, a journey intended to finish a person’s eduction, to solidify an understanding of ancient culture and contemporary refinement. As she travels from England to France, with kin she’s never known, Cora encounters the blessings of a family name, as well as the curses. But when an unbidden love begins to form, she realizes the journey is only beginning….

The first book in the Grand Tour series will take readers on a journey of cultural refinement, but moreover, explores what truly informs a person’s sense of identity
 

My Review: 
I was very curious when I learned about Miss Bergren's latest. When I started reading I was instantaneously transported to Montana, 1913. I truly felt like I was there, invisible to the characters but still very present. And that's something I loved about this book.

Cora, the main character, is told a massive secret that has been kept from her, her whole life. Then, shortly after, she is swept away to be apart of the Grand Tour with family she's never known. She quickly realizes she has several battles and obstacles to face before peace can be made.

Her journey on the Grand Tour is not only one to see Europe, but it serves as a time for Cora to discover who she really is, and who she isn't. Miss Bergren made Cora feel very real to me, and I loved it! Cora's spirit and courage is so admirable.

I was not expecting other viewpoints in Glamorous Illusions, however, I'm happy with the choices Miss Bergren made.

As for the setting, I am very, very, pleased with everything. I'm a fan of Downton Abbey so that should explain a lot. The separation of classes was very much present before WWI, and it was interesting to see that transition.

Before I end this review though I must confess I'm in love with that gorgeous book cover. I highly recommend this book!!

Interested? You can purchase the book here!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this one also, Rosie! I thought it was grand. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was absolutely marvelous. I can't wait until the next one comes out! :-)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.