Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Book Review: Love in Disguise by Carol Cox

Summary:
Love in DisguiseDelightfully Engaging Blend of Romance, Suspense, History, and Humor. When costume-maker Ellie Moore suddenly finds herself out of a job in the middle of a bleak Chicago winter, she uses her knowledge of theatrical disguise to secure a position as an undercover operative with the Pinkerton Detective Agency. Her assignment: find the culprit behind the theft of silver shipped from the mines near Pickford, Arizona. Disguised as Lavinia Stewart, a middle-aged widow, Ellie begins her investigation. Soon she finds she must also pose as the dazzling young Jessie Monroe, whose vivacious personality encourages people to talk. Mine owner Steven Pierce is about to lose his business after the theft of several bullion shipments--until hope arrives in the unlikely form of Lavinia Stewart, who offers to invest in Steven's mine. In his wildest dreams, Steven never expected to be rescued by an inquisitive gray-haired widow . . . or to fall head over heels for Lavinia's captivating niece, Jessie. But then the thieves come after both Lavinia and Jessie. Ellie isn't safe no matter which character she plays! Will she be forced to reveal her true identity before the criminals are caught? What will Steven do when he discovers the woman he loves doesn't exist?

My Review:
Wow! I could tell from the back of the book (and the cover) that I would love this book, and boy was I right!

Miss Cox did an excellent job devising the plot! Things were never dull and they certainly never appeared slow. I particularly enjoyed how Miss Cox kept the identities of the bad guys a secret, it was something different and I liked it. I loved Pickford and how a simple difference in identity in a small town could change how people treat you. The setting and townspeople felt incredibly real and full.

Also, I was completely enthralled with Ellie and Steven! The two were an excellent pair! Ellie is introduced to us with her own set of flaws and problems; but her biggest problem is knowing where her next meal is coming from. Suddenly, a job opportunity appears with the nation's greatest detective agency, little did Ellie know this job would change her life.

Steven is a man who’s sworn to stay honest in his business, a business that is falling apart at the seams due to incessant thefts of his silver shipments.  He continues to pray that God will provide him a way to keep his mining company. So when a mysterious elderly lady comes into town looking to invest in a mine, he thinks his problems are solved…But are they?

All in all, I loved Love in Disguise. Its fresh plot and lovable characters wrapped me into the story. I highly recommend this book!

Interested? You can purchase the book here!

4 comments:

  1. So glad you liked this one, Rosie. I got it as a gift a while back and am really anxious to read it. Hopefully as soon as I get a break in my review copies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so awesome that you loved it. Worth every penny, and I'm sure that you would agree :) Awesome review, Rosie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love in Disguise is definitely a future re-read if you know what I mean, Faye. :-D Totally worth every penny! Thanks!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.