Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Book Review: A Distant Melody by Sarah Sundin

My Review:
A Distant Melody transports you back to the 1940s for an exciting story!

A Distant Melody  (Wings of Glory, #1)
After reading With Every Letter, I picked up a copy of Miss Sundin's first series to read while I wait for On Distant Shores to come out. I truly enjoyed this one. For some reason, my current favorite time-period to read about is the 1940s, America. I find myself loving the simple things back then as well as the gentlemen. Society is so much different today than it was then.

Allie is a girl who has never been told she's pretty. In fact, she's been told she's homely and should jump at whatever suitor wants her. In her case, the suitor is Baxter, her father's business partner. To Allie's dismay, Baxter does not love her. It's an arranged marriage in the 1940s and there's nothing she can do about it. I really liked how Miss Sundin progressively changed Allie into the woman God made her to be. The change wasn't too fast nor too slow.

Walter is also a character who hasn't always fit the image his parents have for him. While his brothers joined the church, he prefers engineering and flying. Also unlike his brothers, he cannot seem to talk to single women. Miss Sundin did excellently portraying and growing his character throughout the book.

You can't go wrong with great characters, a good setting, and strong faith. :-)

I purchased this book, no review required.

Back Cover (from Goodreads):
Will a chance meeting in a time of war change her life forever?

Never pretty enough to please her gorgeous mother, Allie will do anything to gain her approval - even marry a man she doesn't love. While Allie has nearly resigned herself to that fate, Lt. Walter Novak - fearless in the cockpit but hopeless with women - takes his last furlough at home in California before being shipped overseas.

Walt and Allie meet and begin a correspondence that will change their lives. As letters fly between Walt's muddy bomber base in England and Allie's mansion in an orange grove, their friendship binds them together. But can they untangle the secrets, commitments, and expectations that keep them apart?

11 comments:

  1. Loved this series! I've read the first and third. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 1940s, so I'm going to see if I can find these. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I really want to read this series. I too love reading books set in the 1940's they are so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I could lend it to you, if you want. :)

      Delete
    2. Sure! I can only lend you this one right now, is that okay?

      Delete
  4. Never read any of Sarah's books. But then that may have something to do with my preferring different eras. Glad it's a good read. Thanks - as always - for the review, Rosie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I know what you mean. :-) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.