Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Damascus Countdown by Joel C. Rosenburg (Tyndale)

Damascus CountdownMy Review:
Oh. My. Word.

I am saddened at how long it took me to read one of Joel's books! This was a fantastic read! As a big thriller/suspense fan, Damascus Countdown is perfect for me. My mom has always told me how good his books were, but I always shrugged it off because of other priorities. I should have listened sooner, for sure!

While this is the last in this series and I have not read the first two, I did not feel like I was missing anything or confused at all. This book is so well written that I'm taking notes for myself as a writer! An admirable trait in any book, Rosenburg thickens the plot and raises the stakes to unimaginable heights. Right when you think things can't get worse, they do. It's classic and awesome.

The main hero in this trilogy to my knowledge is David Shirazi, alias Reza Tabrizi. He's a CIA deep undercover agent in Iran trying to prevent a war... until, that is, the Israelis start one barely a chapter into the novel. Then his new mission is to find the two nukes that the Israelis didn't get in their attack and deactivate them. I found him to be very likable and very real to me.

Rosenburg takes a serious look at prophesies in the Old Testament and applies them to his fictional today. I cannot fathom the research that has gone into this but it is all worth it. I won't drag out this review too much farther, but I will say that I wouldn't recommend this to younger teens or anyone who doesn't love a good thriller. But if you do, I'd recommend you check out this series. I know I'll be reading The Twelfth Imam and The Tehran Initiative in the next few weeks. :-)

I received this book from Tyndale in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

Back Cover (from Tyndale):
All eyes are on the Middle East. Israel has successfully launched a first strike on Iran, taking out all of their nuclear sites and six of their nuclear warheads—and causing The Twelfth Imam to order a full-scale retaliation. US President William Jackson threatens to support a UN Security Council resolution condemning the Jewish State for unprovoked and unwarranted acts of aggression.

Meanwhile, CIA operative David Shirazi has infiltrated the Iranian regime and intercepted information indicating that two Iranian nuclear warheads survived the attack and have been moved to a secure and undisclosed location. In danger not only from the ongoing missile strikes on Iran but also from the increasingly hostile and suspicious governments of multiple countries, David and his team are in a race against time to find the remaining nuclear warheads before disaster strikes.

4 comments:

  1. I missed the tour for this one (was on for "All for a Song") but did enjoy the other...seven?...books I've read by Rosenberg and am looking forward to getting my hands on this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first read by him, and I can assure you I'll be going back and reading all of his others! :D Glad you enjoy his writing too!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm... this one could be really good. Thanks for the recommendation, Rosie!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.