Thursday, February 21, 2013

When the Heart Heals by Ann Shorey (Revell Blog Tour)

Back Cover (from Revell):
In a country healing from war, can a young woman find healing for her heart?

Courageous and unconventional, Rosemary Saxon served as a nurse during the Civil War, a service that has caused most women in town to regard her as unfeminine and even downright vulgar. Although she would like to put that part of her life behind her, she needs to support herself. She takes a nursing position with Dr. Elijah Stewart, but whenever they are together they always seem to do or say the wrong things. When someone threatens Rosemary, will she find the courage to stand, or will she leave town-and Elijah-forever?

With tenderness and grace, Ann Shorey invites you back to the town of Noble Springs, Missouri, for an engrossing story of love’s tentative first steps and fragile future in the face of opposition.

My Review:
An interesting post-Civil War romance!

When the Heart HealsThis is, I believe, the first novel I've read set in the mid to late 1800s, a few years after the Civil War, in the town of Noble Springs, Missouri. The writing is smooth and I became very fond of the characters. I have not read the first in this series, but like I said in a previous review, that didn't take away from the story at all.

Rosemary Saxon was a nurse in the war. But now that the conflict is over, she tries to find a way to continue treating patients. To her chagrin, however women nurses are not accepted. She is a very headstrong character and at first, upon reading the back cover I was concerned this would be another "first female doctor" novel but it really isn't. Instead, Rosemary merely helps out with the female patients and administers-on occasion-some herbal remedies.

Elijah Stewart is the new doctor in Noble Springs. He takes on Rosemary primarily for her help keeping the ledger not necessarily her nursing skills. There were times I wondered if he could be even more bullheaded than Rosemary, and I suppose he might if he stopped giving in to Rosemary. I found him a strong male lead.

All in all, When a Heart Heals is a nice read for an overcast/rainy day. Miss Shorey has a knack for resolving things on the last few pages and once you hit the middle it's hard to set the book down.

I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, thanks!

Available February 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group

About Ann (from Revell):
Ann Shorey is the author of Where Wildflowers Bloom, The Edge of Light, The Promise of Morning, and The Dawn of a Dream. She has also published selections in the Cup of Comfort series and in Chicken Soup for the Grandma's Soul. Ann and her husband make their home in southwestern Oregon.

9 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds absolutely amazing! I'm really into post-Civil War stuff, so I'm definitely interested in this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you will! :D Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Chose not to read this one since I have other books by this author and haven't read them! YIKES! It cold be helpful to read those first prior to getting more. ;O

    Super glad it's good! Thanks, Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be! Hehehe...

      Thanks for commenting! ;-)

      Delete
  3. That looks like a great read! I am putting it on my "to-read" list right now. ;)
    Thanks for your review!
    http://hbroadwayphann.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  4. Wow, post. Got to check and read more about this! Thanks for sharing.

    Followed you dear, hope you can check back and maybe follow back?

    *hugs*

    http://zanesaria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Followed you back- nice pictures! :-)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for reviewing When the Heart Heals, Rosie! I appreciate your thoughts on the story. :)
    Blessings,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.