Thursday, November 8, 2012

Book Review: A Passion Most Pure by Julie Lessman

A Passion Most Pure (Daughters of Boston, #1)Back Cover (from Goodreads):  
She's found the love of her life. Unfortunately, he loves her sister.

As World War I rages across the Atlantic in 1916, a smaller war is brewing in Boston. Faith O'Connor finds herself drawn to an Irish rogue who is anything but right for her. Collin McGuire is brash, cocky, and from the wrong side of the tracks, not to mention forbidden by her father. And then there's the small matter that he is secretly courting her younger sister. But when Collin's affections shift, it threatens to tear her proper Boston family apart.

Book 1 of the Daughters of Boston series, A Passion Most Pure will carry your heart from the sophisticated streets of Boston to the green hills of Ireland as men go off to war and women long for their return. Full of passion, romance, rivalry, and betrayal, it will captivate you from the first page.

My Review:
This book is completely aggravating and yet enjoyable at the same time.

I can't explain it, but it seems to me Miss Lessman definitely knows how to create a story, a really good one at that. I fell in love with the O'Connor family right off the bat- minus Charity. They are a family built on their faith and strong values and that makes them awesome.

I felt like I really identified with Faith, the female lead and eldest O'Connor daughter. I understood her not wanting to settle for an ungodly man and I adored her unwillingness to lower her standards. She's now my fictional role model. Her relationship with God and her love for her family is so great and though her flaws, I think she amazing.

Forgive me while I gush a tad longer... Reading this book was kind of like watching a movie in a good way. I felt swept away into the action of the O'Connor household. I laughed when they laughed and I cried when they did. I have never felt such a connection with a fictional family.

All that being said; no book is perfect. Though Miss Lessman promotes a pure passion and abstinence (hence the title, "A Passion Most Pure"), there is several heated...erm...passionate kiss scenes scattered through the book with the parents, a few with Charity and Collin, and lastly between Collin and Faith. No worries, nothing is ever too descriptive but it did make me skim the page and move on quickly.

In sum, I was captivated with Miss Lessman's world. Nothing ever seemed happy-go-lucky for too long, there was always some twist or drama that I never saw coming. If you like good writing, stable characters, a wonderful setting, and romance piled in one- you'll enjoy this one. :-)   
   I purchased this book, no review required.

8 comments:

  1. Haha I had the same opinion of this book! That first line is perfect! I would be reading it and one second it was "I love this book!" and the next it was "I hate this book!" But in the end I did thoroughly enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I am so glad you are finally reading Ms. Lessman's books! And enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This series is excellent but as you say, Rosie, sometimes the reader gets REALLY frustrated with it. The further you get into it, the more that becomes apparent with all the secret keeping ...and all that passion. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... lol I'm reading A Passion Redeemed and all I can say is, "Argh." haha!

      Delete
  4. I have heard such many good things about Julie Lessman's books and I've yet to read one. I hope to soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.