Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Book Review: Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar

Pearl in the Sand
Isn't this cover gorgeous??
Book Blurb:
Can a Canaanite harlot who has made her livelihood by looking desirable to men make a fitting wife for one of the leaders of Israel? Shockingly, the Bible's answer is yes.

Pearl in the Sand tells Rahab's untold story. Rahab lives in a wall; her house is built into the defensive walls of the City of Jericho. Other walls surround her as well--walls of fear, rejection, and unworthiness.

A woman with a wrecked past; a man of success, of faith...of pride. A marriage only God would conceive! Through the heartaches of a stormy relationship, Rahab and Salmone learn the true source of one another's worth and find healing in God

My Review:
Pearl in the Sand will take you back in time to just before the Israelites conquered Jericho.

I really enjoyed this one! Miss Afshar did a fantastic job sticking to the Biblical account and still representing plausible personalities for Rahab and Salmone. Staying as true as one can to the Bible always earns points with me.

Rahab is presented, at first, as someone whose lost herself. She doesn't believe in her people's gods, her father has sold her into prostitution, and she just feels hopeless... Until she hears about Israel's victories and their one God. A curiosity stirs within her as she seeks out their God... and finds peace.

Salmone is a man struggling with his pride. He knows what the right thing is but he's growing sick of doing it "God's way". So you can imagine his reaction when Joshua said Rahab and her family would be joining the tribe of Judah. Thankfully, he grows and improves his attitude.

I found this book very enjoyable, despite a few things that can't be avoided. I appreciate Miss Afshar keeping details to a minimum when it came to Rahab's profession before the fall of Jericho.

I traded a book for this one, no review required. 

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is! I love looking at it for some reason. lol

      Delete
  2. Great review! I'm always wary of reading biblical fiction because I hate when people stray too far from what the Bible says. This one sounds like it was good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too, actually. I really liked this one in comparison with Joan Wolf's "This Scarlet Cord"

      Delete
    2. I started that one and just couldn't take it so I put it down! Glad to know I wasn't the only one who didn't enjoy it!

      Delete
    3. I forced myself to finish. *sigh*

      Delete
    4. I almost did that but I had too many books and not enough time so if I wasn't loving a book then a put it down.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.