Thursday, November 1, 2012

Book Review: The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen

Back Cover (from Bethany House):
Olivia Keene is fleeing her own secret. She never intended to overhear his.
 
But now that she has, what is Lord Bradley to do with her? He cannot let her go, for were the truth to get out, he would lose everything--his reputation, his inheritance, his very home. 

He gives Miss Keene little choice but to accept a post at Brightwell Court, where he can make certain she does not spread what she heard. Keeping an eye on the young woman as she cares for the children, he finds himself drawn to her, even as he struggles against the growing attraction. The clever Miss Keene is definitely hiding something. 

Moving, mysterious, and romantic, The Silent Governess takes readers inside the intriguing life of a nineteenth-century governess in an English manor house where all is not as it appears.

Silent Governess, The, Julie Klassen, 978-0-7642-0707-5My Review:
With each novel I read from Miss Julie Klassen I become more and more in love with her stories and her writing!

The Silent Governess is the third book I have read from Miss Klassen, and within its pages we journey with Olivia Keene. From the first few pages we learn that Olivia was trained by her father at a young age to be good with numbers. This knowledge as well as her schooling at Miss Cresswell's proves to be quite beneficial in her future. Especially when she flees everything she's known.

Lord Bradley is a fine character. Though at times he seems a little rough around the edges, he has a profound love for his young cousins. Watching he and Olivia grow in their faith and fall in love was so enjoyable. I spent most of the afternoon reading!

Once again Miss Klassen has provided a well thought out plot, characters, and a realistic setting that has me pining to go back. :-)

I checked this book out at the library. No review required.

5 comments:

  1. I read a novel by Klassen called 'Girl in the Gatehouse' and didn't fall in love with it. It was sweet but the detailed writing wasn't my style.

    *sigh*

    I think I'd better stop commenting unless I have something nice to say about the book - seems like I've been complaining too much about them. ;D Nice review!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Rissi!

      I haven't read that one yet, I've mainly been reading whatever I come across at the library by her. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I have only read The Maid of Fairbourne Hall by Julie Klassen but I loved it and really want to read her other ones! I have The Apothecary's Daughter waiting on my shelves but I haven't had the time to get to it yet! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Maid of Fairbourne Hall was my first read by Klassen too. Ooh, the Apothecary's Daughter is the one I'm going to try to read next! :-D

      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Can't wait to see what you think!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.