Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Flight of Fancy by Laurie Alice Eakes (Revell Blog Tour)

Back Cover (from Revell):
Her head is in the clouds. His feet are planted firmly on the ground. Can love cover the distance?

Cassandra Bainbridge may be a bit of a bluestocking, but when Geoffrey Giles is near, love seems a fine alternative to passion for Greek and the physics of flight. With his dashing good looks and undying devotion to her, the earl of Whittaker sets Cassandra's heart racing with his very presence. It seems his only flaw is his distaste for ballooning, the obsession that consumes so much of her thoughts.

When a terrible accident compels her to end her betrothal, Cassandra heads for the country to recover from both her injuries and her broken heart. With time on her hands and good friends to help her, she pursues her love for ballooning and envisions a future for herself as a daring aeronaut. But when Lord Whittaker slips back into her life, will she have to choose between him and her dream?

My Review:
Flight of Fancy is a fascinating tale of love in the Regency era.

It took about fifty pages for me to really get into the story of Cassandra Bainbridge and Geoffrey Giles. From then on the story drew me in, urging me to discover what will happen next. Miss Eakes poses so many questions I began to wonder if she would answer them all! I can gladly assure you she does.

Flight of Fancy, A, Laurie Alice Eakes, 978-0-8007-3467-1Sewing, house-managing, and dancing might interest most women, but not Cassandra. She would much rather stick her nose in a good book about ballooning or the Greek language. She is also known for her rebellion against her father’s wishes. Though her flaws, I thought she was a strong character.

Geoffrey, or Whittaker as he’s known in Flight of Fancy, is head over heels in love with Cassandra. Because of his fear of heights, he does not care much for Cassandra’s dream of becoming an aeronaut, but he does try to support her near the end. Whittaker really grew as a character, and I liked him.

I really felt for poor Whittaker more than I think I did for Cassandra and her extensive injuries. He comes up against so many obstacles, that to hear that his beloved wishes to end their engagement—for the second time—crushes him. However, it doesn’t stop him from pursuing her.

A few things I didn’t like about Flight of Fancy was the lack of a translation section at the back of the book. I came across more than one French word or Regency-era term that I didn’t understand and having a section at the back explaining each term would have been very helpful. Overall though, I liked this book but not enough to make it to my favorites list. 

Available October 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group

About the Author:
Laurie Alice Eakes is the author of Lady in the Mist, A Necessary Deception, Heart's Safe Passage, and several other novels. She won a National Readers Choice Award for Best Regency in 2007 for Family Guardian. Laurie Alice writes full-time from her home in Texas, where she lives with her husband and sundry dogs and cats.
 I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. 

2 comments:

  1. Getting close to ending this one. It's okay but again, not a favorite. It sounds odd but the prose and story seem... awkward. About a 1/4 of the way through I liked it better. As you say, it's not on my mental "favorites list." :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.