Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Twice Promised by Maggie Brendan (Revell Blog Tour)

Twice PromisedBack Cover:
Two beautiful brides. One unsuspecting groom. Three weeks to figure it all out.

Greta Olsen arrives in Central City, Colorado, as a mail-order bride, expecting to marry Jess Gifford, the man she’s come to know through his tender letters. But when she meets Cora Johnson, she discovers she’s not the only bride waiting at the train station for Jess.

Already shocked to find they must compete for Jess’s affection, the young women can hardly believe it when not Jess but his brother Zach picks them up from the station—and reveals that Jess knows nothing about any mail-order bride, let alone two. Will either bride make the match she hopes for?

Filled with surprises, misunderstandings, and tender romance, Twice Promised is the story of how two unlikely women become twice blessed.

My Review: 
It isn’t very easy to twist my heart into knots like Maggie Brendan did in Twice Promised

This is my first read from Miss Brendan. It’s a sweet mail-order bride romance tale set in the mid-west in 1888. But there’s a problem. Another woman has answered the ad too. And the bridegroom didn’t even know they were coming!

This is the first book I’ve read that I couldn’t for certain figure out which woman would end up with which man. I knew the two whom I wanted to get married. But as the story went on we learn more about the character’s personalities. You’ll have to read the book to find that out, but let me just say I wasn’t cheering for the pairings until close to the end…

Greta is my ultimate favorite character in this novel. She’s sweet, yet she has some fire in her. She’s a woman who has lost her loved one but is ready to move on. I really liked her. Oh, and Granny too.

To sum up, I’ve never read or watched a mail-order bride story. But I really liked this book. Miss Brendan gives us wonderful characters, many twists, and two sweet romances! I was glued to the pages until the very last. I look forward to see what Miss Brendan releases next. :-)

Available October 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group


About the Author:
Maggie Brendan is the author of the Heart of the West series and Deeply Devoted, which was a 2012 ICRA Award finalist. A member of the Authors Guild, Romance Writers of America, and Georgia Romance Writers, Maggie lives in Georgia. Visit her at www.MaggieBrendan.com.

I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Sadly, I am not wild about this novel so far... but I am trying to keep an open mind. I think it's the fact that I'm not nearly as fond of "prairie fiction" as I was as a teen. Until I find an author who puts a new spin on the genre, I suspect, I won't bother much with this time frame any more. Still... I am SO glad you enjoyed it, Rosie - great review. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, sad to hear you aren't enjoying it too well. I've always had a "thing" for this time period. :-)

      Thanks!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.