Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Promise to Love by Serena B. Miller (Revell Blog Tour)

Promise to Love, A, Serena B. Miller, 978-0-8007-2117-6Back Cover (from Revell):
Can a marriage of convenience ever become one of true love?

Ingrid Larsen, a young Swedish immigrant, arrives in Michigan in 1871 to search for her brother who has disappeared into the woods to work the dangerous lumber camps. Destitute and barely hanging on to hope, she encounters a newly-widowed farmer who is struggling to raise five children on his own.

Marriage would solve both of their problems, and so Ingrid proposes to a man she barely knows. She will fight to protect her new family--but the hardest battle of all will be winning the heart of her new husband.


My Review:
An enthralling read from the start!

When I picked up A Promise to Love, I never would have guessed I would be clinging to the book until the end. This book is utterly fantastic. Miss Miller’s writing and characters, from the start, transport you back in time to Michigan in 1871.

In the first few pages, we meet Ingrid. Oh, how I loved Ingrid! She and her twin brother, Hans, moved to America from Sweden. They made a promise to meet each other when they parted. But when he doesn’t show up, Ingrid fears the worst and moves to White Rock to take a position as a maid for a snobbish woman. It’s there in White Rock that Ingrid’s life takes a turn.

There are so many things I enjoyed about this book. One in particular is how Miss Miller was able to write Ingrid’s broken English. It gave the story another layer of accuracy, it made me laugh, and it made me smile.

Miss Miller has done a wonderful job with her latest release. Her writing is so easy to read and her characters so lovable. I read A Promise to Love in a day simply because I couldn’t put it down for very long. I was so sad to see it come to end.

Those who liked Janette Oke’s Love Come Softly series will enjoy this one. :-) 

Available October 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group


About the Author: 
Serena B. Miller is the author of The Measure of Katie Calloway and Love Finds You in Sugarcreek, Ohio, as well as numerous articles for periodicals such as Woman's World, Guideposts, Reader's Digest, Focus on the Family, Christian Woman, and more. She lives on a farm in southern Ohio.

I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. 

4 comments:

  1. It does sound familiar with the similarities to the LCS series. And I just happened to have finished that series as well, lol. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that series was really good. I think you'd like this one, Michaela. :)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Didn't sign up for this one but I am SO glad you enjoyed it, Rosie - Oke's series was one of my first as a young girl so it holds a "special" place for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oke's series was brilliant.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.