Monday, October 8, 2012

Writing Mondays: Saying Goodbye to...

...one of your characters.

It isn't a pleasant thing. I don't like doing it. But sometimes it's necessary.

Yesterday, while outlining my WIP, The Patriot Republic (formerly known as Civil War), I made the decision to take out my cute side character, Alyssa Jonson. She's bubbly and sweet and naive... but she doesn't fit into my plot puzzle like I had hoped she would.

So that begs the question, is there a separate, new, character that might be a better fit? Perhaps. I had a new character turn in his application to me yesterday after I had handed out Alyssa's pink slip. His name's Darren, and he just might have a place-- but we'll see.

Though removing Alyssa does take some of my plans with her, it's for the best. There just wasn't a good way to include her without it seeming awkward. She may pop up and find a place in one of my later novels in the series, but for right now I'm saying goodbye.

Well, time to go patch up those holes Alyssa left. Have you ever had to cut a character from your novel? If so, tell me about it in the comments! :-) I'll be checking back later to respond.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely hate to have to cut a character, but sometimes it is just necessary :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a neat title! And, it's true, sometimes it really IS for the best to let certain characters/plots/things go in your book. My current WIP has evolved and changed so much and so have its characters. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yup, it's always sad though.

      Also, thanks for the follow! :D

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.